To me, nothing screams New Years Eve better than booze enhanced desserts. This lava cake is rich, delicious and the perfect end to any party or dinner. Be warned, you might dream of this dessert and them accidentally make it three nights in a row, and then suddenly your jeans get tighter! Strange how that happens, right?
I used “fancy” Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate to make this and did not regret it for a second!
Chocolate Lava Cakes with Bailey’s Irish Cream
Recipe from Southern Living
Makes 6 lava cakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate morsels
- 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites for a fritatta!)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup of Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease 6 (6-oz.) ramekins or individual soufflé dishes with 1 Tbsp. butter. Make sure to get every nook and cranny of the ramekins! Or this will happen… even if this happens, don’t panic, dusting the cakes with powdered sugar disguises any “oops”
- Microwave 1 cup butter and chocolate morsels in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, whisking at 20 second intervals.
- Beat egg yolks and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating at a low speed until well blended.
- Sift together sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually whisk sugar mixture into chocolate mixture until well blended. Once blended whisk in 1/3 cup coffee liqueur. Divide batter among prepared ramekins. Place ramekins in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 425° for 14 to 16 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into cakes registers 165°. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes. Run a knife around outer edge of each cake to loosen. Carefully invert cakes onto dessert plates. Garnish, with powdered sugar and a BIG scoop of ice cream (If you are feeling extra naughty, this would be perfect served with some Baileys spiked homemade ice cream!)
Eat as many of these as you can before you make any new years resolutions to lose weight