This is NOT a low-calorie breakfast. However, it contains fruit, so therefore you only have to feel slightly guilty about eating it! It is so good we ate it ALL before I even had time to snap a photo!
The recipe claims to feed six, but whomever has the self-control to eat only ONE piece of french toast should be nominated for sainthood. I would say this feeds two hungry adults. (At the beginning of my marriage I used to be slightly embarrassed that I can eat the same amount as my 40lbs heavier husband, but now I own it- especially when it comes to something as tasty as this french toast!)
Recipe From Steamy Kitchen
3 large whole eggs
3 large egg yolks (keep the egg whites for a frittata)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 slices (3/4-inch thick) your favorite bread (I used French, you can also use brioche or challah bread)
3 tablespoons (ish) unsalted butter
4 ounces (1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
4 bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Soak the bread: Whisk the whole eggs and egg yolks in a large bowel to blend. Gradually whisk in the milk, cream and vanilla. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, turning to coat and soak until they are completely moistened with the custard. While the bread is socking up this wonderful-ness…
- Make the banana sauce: Melt the butter in a large stainless-steel skillet with a lid over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and whisk until it melts into the butter. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside while you cook the French toast.
- Cook the French toast: Heat a heavy, large griddle pan over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter on the griddle. Working in batches, transfer the soaked bread to the pan with a slotted spatula and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Add more butter as needed for each batch. (keep the already cooked pieces on a baking sheet in the oven at 250)
- Add the bananas: Add the banana slices to the sauce and cook until the bananas are almost tender, tossing gently, about 3 minutes. Transfer the French toast to plates. Top each with the banana sauce.
- Enjoy without guilt. Maybe even plan to go to the gym later OR realize your time would be better spent making another batch of these for dinner!