7 Layer Mexican Dips are the perfect party food.
Why 7 layers?
Why not 6?
Who picked 7? I don’t get it.
I recently made a layered Mexican dip. It was super tasty. Layered dips have been popping up all over at parties and get togethers that I have been to and I have loved them all. The beauty of a layered dip is you can have as many layers as you want. If 4 is your lucky number or you really have a thing for 7, then you can do that. In my opinion, as long as you do not put olives in the mix, you can have as many layers as you wish.
I wanted 6 layers. So I made a 6 layer dip. With chorizo. Chorizo, a seasoned Mexican ground sausage, makes everything better. Everything.
Layered Chorizo Mexican Dip
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 large avocado, cut in half, pit removed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
juice from 1 lime
6 ounces ground chorizo sausage
2 roma tomaotes, diced
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Prepare ingredients. Combine refried beans and green chiles in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Evenly spread into a 9 inch pie plate. Wipe out bowl. (When I make refried beans, I always add a can of diced green chiles for some extra pizzazz).
2. Combine avocado, cayenne pepper and salt into same medium bowl. Mix to combine. Feel free to use another avocado if you love them. Spread avocado mixture on top of bean layer. Wipe out bowl.
3. Combine sour cream and lime juice into same medium bowl. Stir to combine. Spread sour cream mixture on top of avocado layer.
4. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Cook chorizo until done. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Spread chorizo evenly on top of sour cream layer.
5. Top dish with a layer of chopped tomatoes then shredded cheddar cheese. Broil under high heat (with oven door open) for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*The chorizo I bought was packaged in a 12 ounce log. I cut the log in half, then a couple days later we ate chorizo and scrambled eggs. So good.
Serve with tortilla chips, the best dipper known to mankind.
For printable recipe, click here.