I love pizza. I love to make pizza. I love to make bold statements about things being the BEST EVER.
Pizza is a dinner I can start and have on the table in an hour. This pizza is excellent (I might dare to repeat myself and say it is the BEST EVER). Tequila marinated Shrimp and Chorizo Pizza with goat cheese. I will give you a moment to take in all the deliciousness that is included in the name of this pizza. It is one of those meals that you can’t help mmm-ing while eating! This looks like it is a lot of work, but it truly can be made in a little over an hour! My hub begrudgingly admitted the deliciousness of this pizza; he initially scoffed at the amount of “different” ingredients (I use the term “different” because this pizza has no red sauce or pepperoni and he likes everything to be regular -aka boring).
This pizza takes a few steps:
1. Put the shrimp in the marinade
2. Make and pre-bake the dough
While the dough is baking:
3. Make the cilantro pesto cook the chorizo and cut the bell pepper and onion
4. Put the Toppings on the pizza, Bake for 8 min at 450
5. Eat it and wish you had made two
First: Marinate the Shrimp
- 20 medium raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, tequila, lime juice, crushed garlic, cilantro, lime zest, pepper flakes, kosher salt, and cumin. Let marinate for no more than 1 hour. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and pat dry.
Second: The dough
This is my go to pizza dough recipe, and I act like it is good for you because I use one cup of whole wheat flour. Another bonus, no waiting for it to rise!! Make sure to use rapid rise yeast (also known as quick rise). This yeast makes the process of making your own dough almost as easy as buying pre-made dough from the store!
- 3 cups of bread flour (A whole wheat crust can be made by substituting 1 cup whole wheat flour and 2 cups bread flour)
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 packet of Fast Acting Yeast (or 2+1/4 tsp)
Preheat oven to 450. Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, olive oil, water (heated to 120°-130°F, 30 seconds in the microwave usually does the trick) and salt. Mix with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Remove the paddle or beaters and attach the dough hook. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes, continue to knead until smooth and elastic. (Add a little bit of flour if you think it is too sticky!)
Lightly flour the surface you are going to roll the pizza dough on. Roll out dough to the size of your pizza pan and if you don’t have a pizza pan, you can roll the dough into a rectangle and put it on a cookie sheet! Poke the dough with a fork all over, brush with olive oil and bake for 8 at 450 minutes before putting the toppings on.
Third: Make Ridiculously delicious sauce and toppings
Sauce: Cilantro Pesto
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmesean
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
In a food processor or blender, combine the cilantro, pine nuts, and garlic, and puree on high speed. Add the cheese, pepper and salt, and process to combine. Scrape the sides of the processor, and with the machine running, add the olive oil. Blend until well combined.
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo
- Cilantro Pesto (recipe above)
- 11/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into long strips
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut into rings
- 4-6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Recipe adapted from the Food Network
In a skillet, cook the chorizo over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered and almost completely cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool.
Spread cilantro pesto across the pre baked dough to covering all but the crust (leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge). Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top, then arrange the shrimp, bell peppers, onions, and chorizo over the top. Dot the pizza generously with the goat cheese.
Place in oven and bake until the cheeses are melted and bubbly, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and try not to scarf down three slices before anyone else has a chance to eat any.Then realize you and your husband at all of the pizza before you even had a chance to take pictures of it. Then you try to pretend you did not eat as many pieces as your husband did. Garnish with chopped cilantro.